Redirecting

Thursday, August 25, 2005

A Little Light Reading

I just got back from 3 days of near perfect weather on The Cape. Suffice to say, I was the only one on the beach reading "Harrington On Hold'em Volume II." Go out and buy this book right away. I am at the point in my poker career where although I am far from an expert, I spend enough time thinking about the game and analyzing hands that I have very low expectations for any mass-market book that aims to teach me something new. Harrington, however, somehow manages to enlighten time and time again - this is probably the best poker book ever written (in my mind, far better than Volume I) - and I'm barely 1/2 way through! Well done Action Dan.
I was also pleased to come home to 3 back issues of Card Player - I had made the mistake of ignoring Card Player's renewal notice, and quickly found my subscription in arrears. After calling them, mentioning Kid Dynamite ("Do you know who the fuck I am?"), sweet talking the saleslady, and forking over $49,95 - I managed to get CardPlayer to send me the 3 issues I'd missed. (although they DID subtract those issues from the end of my new subscription... No freeroll)
Laughs abound on the first page of the "Scott Fishman" issue: Jeff Shulman has a piece on the growth of the Ladies Hold'Em event, and he identifies the winner, Jennifer Tilly, as an actress. Fine - that much we all know... but the movie he identifies her by? Get this... SEED OF CHUCKY! Wow... If your career is identified by "starring" in the Seed of Chucky, it's probably time to find a new career... Fortunately, it appears that Jennifer has serious potential as a professional poker player (note bitter sarcasm).
Also in the same issue, Roy Cooke wrote an article which is at least tangentially relevant to the piece I wrote about playing online. Roy isn't trying to make the same points, but there are some relevant observations in any case.
until next time,
KD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why Brian Williams' blog is striking
One is the light he periodically sheds, in real time, on deliberations among his "NBC Nightly News" colleagues, including their disagreements on the evolving lineup of that night's newscast.
Check out my site stress relief technique as well if you are interested in stress relief technique