Redirecting

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Garden: Secret Weapon

I have a secret weapon in my fight against garden pests:  a highly specialized working dog - the Brussels Tomato Hound:


Just try sneaking by Mr. Griffey and getting anywhere NEAR my tomatoes - he will sound an alarm that will scare you 1/2 to death.  Unfortunately, he has proven to be nearly useless in finding and destroying horn worms


Although Oscar did dig up one of the hornworm carcasses I had stomped on, and was playing with it and nibbling on it.   Oscar and Griffey are very funny outside.  Griffey has learned to eat blueberries right off the bush, and Oscar does the same with snap peas!  They are like cattle, grazing on grass and munching on the crops.  In this picture below, I think they are hatching a plot to overwhelm me and take my cucumber harvest:


Fortunately, they got distracted, and decided to attack each other instead.  Note the air-born attack from Oscar, and the evasive maneuver from Griffey:


In the end, though, they settle down and bask in The Life (also note: summer haircuts):


Last night Mrs. Dynamite and I made pesto from our garden basil, and we also made pan fried eggplant (from the garden eggplant, of course) with a chipotle mayo that we made using some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that we had in the fridge.  Good stuff.

-KD

2 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

"Last night Mrs. Dynamite and I made pesto from our garden basil, and we also made pan fried eggplant (from the garden eggplant, of course) with a chipotle mayo that we made using some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that we had in the fridge. Good stuff."

Well that sounds downright cozy!

Stop posting those worms, I have had nightmares!

keithpiccirillo said...

Grubs a constant issue along with moles for my garden but Mr. Tuxedo the cat takes care of the latter.
Nice pictures!