Redirecting

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Power is Intoxicating

It seems my post ranting about the strike, "The Union & Capitalism," shook enough people to their senses and ended the strike while the parties return to the bargaining table! And I thought only a few lucky souls read my 'blog. Who knew....

A colleague sent me this quote from Ronald Reagan - I couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe that's why he was a two term President.

"We cannot compare labor-management relations in the private sector with government. Government cannot close down the assembly line. It has to provide without interruption the protective services which are government's reason for being. It was in recognition of this that the Congress passed a law forbidding strikes by government employees against the public safety...It is for this reason that I must tell those who fail to report for duty this morning they are in violation of the law, and if they do not report for work within 48 hours, they have forfeited their jobs and will be terminated." - Ronald Reagan, Aug. 3, 1981


I sucked it up and paid $15 for a cab to work this morning, but on the way home I decided to walk from 48th & Park to 32nd & 6th and hop on the PATH train to Christopher St. The line into the PATH station at Christopher stretched up the 3 story entry, down Christopher Street, around the corner up Hudson, and all the way to 10th Street! Holy cow. I think there is usually a long line, due to an engineering flaw with the station entrance design, but that's a serious bad beat for people trying to get home.

-KD

No comments: